Tuesday 1 July 2008

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) in under 500 words

Photobucket

What is it?

Third person action game taking place in a war driven future. Shooting and (optional) Stealth throughout.

What I liked:
- Changes in game play and pace keep the game exciting to the end
- Emotional involvement and attachment to the characters
- Graphics
- Production values arguably unparalleled by any other game
- Plenty of “WOW!” moments

What I didn’t like:
- Some cut-scenes and exposition can drag at times, but on the whole are very good
- That some of the exciting game play could have been a bit longer
- Staggered lord of the rings ending (that just like LoTR’s would have been better if it had stopped earlier)
- Online mode


I’ve been a part time fan of the series and if you have never had any interest in Metal Gear games or know nothing about the story I wouldn’t recommend this as your time to enter. That said this is the first Metal Gear I felt compelled to actually complete. I no longer felt stifled by complicated controls and while it can be convoluted I actually found the story a compelling reason to play on.

Whilst I enjoy being stealthy from time to time games that feature heavy doses of it often just end up frustrating me. So I was relieved to find this game didn’t punish me too harshly when I was (as expected) spotted. I even found opting to blast my way through a situation, rather than sneak around, was also a rewarding way of playing. Some parts even require you to go all guns blazing!

A couple of cut-scenes dragged on and I often wished I could have been more involved with the action they portrayed. However this game has amazing production values and I genuinely found myself laughing and almost crying at these largely non-interactive moments.

Overall I found Metal Gear Solid 4 to be thoroughly entertaining and well worth my £40, (It took me around 20 hours to complete on normal). I have no interest in the online mode (too slow and tactical for my tastes) but I’m sure it will interest people who like games such as Socom. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who has had at least a passing interest in the series.

Quick tips: Tranquiliser and the syringe are very useful throughout. The face camo you use will be present in cut-scenes, so take it off before if you don’t want to see it.

Who’s it for:
- Metal Gear Fans
- Stealth Action Fans
- People who want to see what the PS3 is graphically capable of
- People who want a tactical online experience

Who’s it not for:
- Social/Family gamers
- People who can only play in short bursts (ie under 60-30 mins)
- People who hate cut-scenes
- People who aren’t fans of shooting, guns or war
- MGS haters :-p


No comments: